Private Education Loans
Office of Financial Aid
Education Loans help bridge the gap between the actual cost of education and the amount the government allows you to borrow in its programs. Private loans are offered by private lenders and are a separate loan program from the Federal Direct loans you might have received through your financial aid award letter.
Eligibility for private student loans often depends on your credit score. It is better to apply for a private loan with a cosigner even if you could qualify for a loan on your own. Just applying with a cosigner usually results in a slightly lower rate, as the interest rate is determined by the co-signers credit. Private Education loans typically take 4-6 weeks to process, apply early.
You have the right to borrow through the lender of your choice and you are not limited to those included through our lender list.
Method of Selecting Private Education Loan Lenders
Defiance College selects the private loan lenders on the following criteria: fees, interest rates, customer service to the school and families, flexible repayment options, re-payment benefits, and co-signer release options. Ultimately, we want to make the Alternative loan process as easy for students and families as possible. Students and families must also remember that they do not have to select from our preferred lender list; DC will certify any private loan that the student is eligible for.
DC does not endorse or recommend any specific lenders. Families must research and decide the loan and terms that best meet their financial needs.
Code of Conduct
An institutional financial aid professional is expected to always maintain exemplary standards of professional conduct in all aspects of carrying out his or her responsibilities, specifically including all dealings with any entities involved in any manner in student financial aid, regardless of whether such entities are involved in a government sponsored, subsidized, or regulated activity. In doing so, a financial aid professional should:
- Refrain from taking any action for his or her personal benefit.
- Refrain from taking any action he or she believes is contrary to law, regulation, or the best interests of the students and parents he or she serves.
- Ensure that the information he or she provides is accurate, unbiased, and does not reflect any preference arising from actual or potential personal gain.
- Be objective in making decisions and advising his or her institution regarding relationships with any entity involved in any aspect of student financial aid.
- Refrain from soliciting or accepting anything of other than nominal value from any entity involved in the making, holding, consolidating, or processing of any student loans, including anything of value for serving on an advisory board or as part of a training activity of or sponsored by any such entity.
- Disclose to his or her institution, in such manner as his or her institution may prescribe, any involvement with or interest in any entity involved in any aspect of student financial aid.
Federal Student Aid
SCHOOL CODE: 003041
Defiance College admits students regardless of race, color, creed, sex,
national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, or disability.