Starting summer 2020!
Defiance College's accelerated five-course program is 100% online. A 6-month concurrent internship can be completed within your school district. Courses taught in an 8-week format allow candidates to complete the program in 3 semesters. Licenses can be earned in the following grade bands: PK-6, 4-9, or 5-12.
DC PRINCIPAL LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
- A completed application for admission
- Official transcripts from each institution of higher education attended
- Letters of recommendation from two individuals who can speak to your performance as a teacher – one from an immediate supervisor
- Statement of Purpose for pursuing a principal license
- 3.00 graduate GPA (or 3.00 undergraduate GPA if taking the Master of Arts in Education (MAE) simultaneously*)
*NOTE: Because a master's degree is required to obtain a principal license in the state of Ohio, interested applicants who have not earned a master's degree may simultaneously apply to DC's Master of Arts in Education program.
OHIO DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION LICENSURE APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
Before applying for the principal license, candidates must:
- Complete two years of successful teaching under a professional teaching license in the grade bands of the desired license
- Complete a master's degree
- Complete an approved principal licensure program
- Pass the Ohio Assessments for Educators Education Leadership (015) Assessment
- Receive the recommendation of the head of teacher education of the institution attended
- Pass a criminal background (FBI/BCI) check
- EDUC 620 The Principalship and Instructional Leadership (3)
- EDUC 621 School Finance and Human Resources (3)
- EDUC 622 Educational Law and Ethics (3)
- EDUC 623 Special Education, Law, Policies, and Procedures (3)
- EDUC 624 School Culture, Families, and Communities: Equity and Cultural Responsiveness (3)
- EDUC 691 Internship (3) - repeatable 3 times