2012-2013 Imagine Initiatives
Cultural and Performing Arts – One Day Trips
- Lombardi – play at the Cleveland Playhouse, September 30, 2012 – Single day trip led by Barb
Sedlock and Tim Rickabaugh.
- Toledo Museum of Art – This trip on November 15, 2012 will give the students an opportunity to see the
permanent collection of art on display as well as the traveling exhibition of Edward
Monet’s work. Led by Jason Stockman and Doug Fiely
- Fort Wayne Ballet – This single day excursion in December, 2012 will take students to Ft Wayne, IN
to experience Tchaikovsky’s famous Nutcracker ballet, accompanied by the Ft Wayne
Philharmonic orchestra. The trip is led by Andrew Schultz.
- Toledo Symphony Excursion – This trip will take students on February 9, 2013 to the Toledo Museum of Art to
experience one of the popular works of classical music ever written, Orff’s Carmina
burana. Included is dinner and a visit from one of the symphony players for a questions/answer
session. The trip is led by Andrew Schultz.
- World of Business-Cincinnati – This trip to Cincinnati, OH will provide students with many opportunities to expand
on material learned in the classroom in an experiential fashion. Led by Jay Page,
Mike Wolfe and Blen Solomon, this trip will occur sometime in April, 2013.
- Dayton Drumline Excursion – Attendees will experience the Indoor Drumline Dayton Regional Competition and have
the opportunity to observe the marching band percussion ensemble working together
to create a unique performance. Led by Andrew Schultz, the trip will take place on
April 20, 2013.
Cultural and Performing Arts – Multi Day Trips
- Alternative Spring Break Civil Rights Tour is a detailed journey in which all participants will be exposed to the literature,
music, and documentation relative to the Civil Rights Movement. The participants will
also learn about the unsung heroes of the civil rights, equality verses equity, and
the culture of the south. The trip will take place March 8-March 15, 2013 and led
by Mercedes Clay
- Summer Choir Tour 2013 is a nine night, ten day trip traveling west through major US cities to reach the
final destination of Denver, CO. A typical day will involve performing for one of
two high schools during the day and performing at a church in the evening. This will
include time for travel, site seeing, cultural activities, recruiting and meeting
with DC alumni. Andrew Schultz will be leading this trip May 10-May 19, 2013
- Ann Arbor Film Festival led by Mary Catherine Harper and Todd Comer will spend two days, March 22-March 23,
2013, in Ann Arbor to take in a wide range of films from around the world, attend
lectures about film techniques, and attend lectures and discussions with artists and
DC to D.C. / DC Edventures
- Battles in Pennsylvania-The Civil War & 9/11 - September 14-20, 2012, led by Gregg Gunsch and Tim Wedge. Students will be assisting
at the High Technology Crime Investigation Association’s annual training conference
held in Hershey, PA. Students will also have the opportunity to explore some historical
sites in the area of the conference such as the Gettysburg battlefield and the Memorial
site of United Airlines Flight 93 on 9/11.
- Meet Me in St. Louis led by Ken Wetstein will be a cultural and historical sampling of St. Louis, MO nicknamed
the “Gateway to the West.” The trip will include a trip to the Jefferson National
Expansion Memorial (Gateway Arch), the Museum of Westward Expansion, and the Cahokia
Mounds State Historic Site, a settlement site of mound-building native cultures. This
trip will run from April 4-April 7, 2013.
- Criminal Justice, Digital Forensic Science and Forensic Science will travel to Chicago on March 20, 21 & 22, 2013 led by Don Knueve to provide opportunities
for student to observe major parts of the Criminal Justice System in operation in
a metropolitan area. The group will tour agencies such as the Chicago Police Department,
the Cook County Jail, the Regional FBI Computer Forensics Lab, the state Crime Lab,
and the US Marshall Service.
- DC Paris Cultural Connection will provide DC students with an international experience that will engage them in
developing competencies in intercultural relations, communications, and sensitivity.
In addition it will heighten students’ global awareness as they research, analyze,
and present information about Paris and their intended exploration. The Paris adventure
will run from December 11-17, 2012 and be led by Mercedes Clay and Sandra Golden.
- London Heroes & Heroines led by JoAnn Burkhardt and Fred Coulter. This is a fast-paced 5 day trip to London
having the study of Heroes and Heroines (and a few villains!) as its framework. The
participants will use public transportation in London to visit museums and historic
sights and even spend the evening at the theatre. The trip will run March 8-13, 2013.
- Spain – Members of the DC women’s soccer team under the leadership of Alex VanderSluijs,
will travel to Spain in July, 2013 to have a great cultural experience visiting Madrid
and Barcelona. Included in the trip will be stops at some of the most famous stadiums
in the soccer world, and watching games.