The Dual Enrollment Program permits high school juniors and seniors to complete college course work in the summer sessions only.
Defiance College is pleased to offer this opportunity to high school juniors and seniors who wish to enrich their academic experiences. The program is intended to provide expanded opportunities for appropriately qualified high school students to experience course work at the college level. Any high school student admitted to a course will be expected and required to perform at the same level as the College's regularly admitted students.
The benefits for a high school student participating in this program at Defiance College include:
- The expansion of the high school curriculum through more challenging and in-depth courses;
- The opportunity to earn college credit while in high school;
- The personal enrichment and growth that one can experience at an established liberal arts college in Northwest Ohio;
- The experience of interacting with college students;
- The experience of participating in a college atmosphere.
The challenges for a high school student participating in the Dual Enrollment Program of Defiance College include:
- The increased responsibility for learning;
- The increased need for good time management skills to balance the demands of both high school and college course work;
- The heightened academic competition with older college students;
- The social stimulation of interaction with older adults;
- The alternatives presented which might conflict with extracurricular high school and part-time employment.
The State of Ohio Department of Education has made effective October 1, 1999, through the amended Substitute House Bill 282, the following requirement:
- "(F) A REQUIREMENT THAT A STUDENT MAY NOT ENROLL IN ANY SPECIFIC COLLEGE COURSE THROUGH THE PROGRAM IF THE STUDENT HAS TAKEN HIGH SCHOOL COURSES IN THE SAME SUBJECT AREA AS THAT COLLEGE COURSE AND HAS FAILED TO ATTAIN A CUMULATIVE GRADE POINT AVERAGE OF AT LEAST 3.0 ON A 4.0 SCALE, OR THE EQUIVALENT, IN SUCH COMPLETED HIGH SCHOOL COURSES."
There is no limit to the number of students considered for the program. To be eligible to participate in the Dual Enrollment Program of Defiance College, students shall:
- Have completed the sophomore year in high school;
- Rank in the top half of their high school class;
- Have at least a 3.5 cumulative grade point average in their high school work;
- Have the recommendation of their parent/guardian, high school guidance counselor and high school principal;
There is no limit to the number of students considered for the program.
A student participating in the Dual Enrollment Program of Defiance College may enroll for a maximum of two courses in any summer semester. Course pre-requisites must be met, and enrollment is permitted on a space-available basis in regular college courses.
Full college credit will be awarded for all courses satisfactorily completed according to the College's established requirements and procedures. Courses completed will be applied toward degree requirements if the student enrolls at Defiance College after high school graduation. Your grades from Defiance College will not be calculated into your high school grade point average (GPA).
A cost of the prevailing tuition rate will be charged per credit hour.
The student is responsible for payment of all costs incurred, including tuition, books, materials, and fees associated with the course(s). Tuition and special fees are due and payable in full on or before Registration Day (the day before the semester begins).
The deadlines for application for admission to Defiance College to participate in the Dual Enrollment Program are as follows:
||May 1, 2013
Defiance College retains the final right of approval for admission decisions of the Dual Enrollment Program.
To be considered for participation in the Dual Enrollment Program of Defiance College, the high school student shall:
- Complete Defiance College's Dual Enrollment Program Application;
- Have the application form signed by his/her parent or guardian;
- Have the application form signed by his/her high school guidance counselor;
- Have the application form signed by his/her high school principal;
- Submit an official high school transcript, with cumulative grade point average and class rank indicated;
- Submit the application form and transcript by the deadline;
- Have a campus interview with the College's Coordinator of the Post-Secondary/Dual Enrollment Program.
Upon completion of the Dual Enrollment Program application procedures, the Office of Admissions will respond with the admission decision and instructions immediately by letter to the student. Copies of the letter will be sent to the parent or guardian, high school guidance counselor, and high school principal.
Students must complete a new Dual Enrollment Application for each new year. Upon graduation from high school, if the student wishes to apply for admission to Defiance College, the student must follow the standard admission and financial aid process.
Office of Admission/Coordinator of Dual Enrollment Program
701 North Clinton Street
Defiance, OH 43512-1695
(419)783-2314 or 1-800-520-GODC
NOTE: Defiance College retains the final right of approval for all aspects of the Dual Enrollment Program. Defiance College's Dual Enrollment Program is similar to, but not the same as, the Post-Secondary Enrollment Options Program under Senate Bill 140 of the State of Ohio.
This page has been formatted for printing.
Defiance College | Defy the Ordinary
701 N. Clinton St.
Defiance, OH 43512
© 2007-2012 Defiance College. All Rights Reserved.