Is Graduate School Right For You?
Office of Career Development
Is graduate school right for you?
Pursuing Graduate or Professional school is not a decision that should be taken lightly,
nor is it one that can be made at the last minute. Graduate school is very costly
in terms of time, money and effort and is not a good place for you to figure out your
career goals. It is important that you have chosen your career field and occupational
goal before even considering graduate or professional studies. If you are stuck because
you don’t know what you want to do, or can do, with your major, speak to someone in
the Career Development office.
Reasons TO GO to graduate school:
- A graduate-level degree is required to enter the career field you have chosen
- Going to graduate school can help you to advance within your chosen field
- You have a strong interest in a subject area and wish to continue your studies for
Reasons NOT TO GO to graduate school:
- You don’t know what you want to do and think graduate school will help you to discover
- Graduate school is a safe place to be while your choose a career field
- You are afraid that you can’t or won’t find a job after graduation
- You don’t know what you can do with your major or undergraduate degree
- You feel comfortable in the academic environment and are not yet ready for the responsibility
of a work role