DC COVID-19 Information
Symptoms/What Should I Do?
This page will continue to be updated as needed. (back)
What should I do if I have symptoms?
- Symptoms may include fever, cough, and difficulty breathing.
- Students, faculty, and staff are to practice self-isolation at the onset of symptoms:
- Go to your home/residence hall
- Avoid contact with others
- Contact DC Wellness Center immediately at 419-783-2562 or COVID19@defiance.edu
Even if you are at home with symptoms, please contact the DC Wellness Center so we can continue to track the virus. DC Wellness Center is monitoring students, faculty, and staff that report signs and symptoms of illness so that the College can prepare and respond to your needs in the best manner possible.
What does it mean to self-isolate?
- Stay home. Do not go to work, school, or public areas.
- Contact DC Wellness Center immediately at 419 783-2562 or COVID19@defiance.edu.
- Separate yourself from other people in your home. Avoid visitors to your home.
- Self-monitor for fever by checking temperature at least twice a day. Contact your health care provider if you develop a fever or respiratory symptoms.
- When seeking medical care, call ahead and tell them about your symptoms before heading to the doctor's office or the emergency room.
- Do not use public transport like buses or taxis.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, and immediately throw the tissue in the trash and clean hands with sanitizer.
- Clean and disinfect frequently used objects and surfaces.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
What will the Wellness Center assist me with if I am practicing self-isolation?
- Help coordinate health care services as needed
- Academics and classes
- Alternative housing arrangements
- Participation in campus organizations or requirements
Contact the DC Wellness Center at the onset of symptoms at COVID19@defiance.edu or 419-783-2562.
What do I need to do if I have been traveling?
Travelers returning from Level 3 Warning countries or from a cruise ship over spring break, along with anyone who has come in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, are required to report their exposure to the DC Wellness Center at 419-783-2562 or COVID19@defiance.edu and observe a 14-day period of self-isolation and monitoring. These individuals should not return to campus at this time.
If you have not traveled to a Level 3 Warning country or on a cruise ship, there is no need to isolate yourself if you are not exhibiting flu-like symptoms; however, if symptoms should arise, please limit your movement on and around campus. Please do so out of the utmost caution for the health and safety of the campus community. For the most up-to-date guidelines, contact the DC Wellness Center at 419-783-2562 or COVID19@defiance.edu.
What do I do if I have a roommate with flu-like illness (fever with cough, shortness
of breath, and/or sore throat)?
Your or your roommate should contact the DC Wellness Center for the most up-to-date guidelines at 419-783-2562 or COVID19@defiance.edu. A mask may be given to them wear for the duration of their symptoms. Monitor your own health and be particularly stringent in following the guidelines below. If your roommate is ill and you feel the need for temporary alternative housing, please contact the Office of Student Life.
If my roommate is practicing self-isolation, what should I do?
Please contact the DC Wellness Center to explore housing options during the self-isolation period at COVID19@defiance.edu or 419-783-2562. Do not attempt to retrieve personal items. DC Wellness Center will assist you with this in a manner that helps to prevent spread of the virus.
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact us at COVID19@defiance.edu or 419-783-2562.