DC COVID-19 Information
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
This page will continue to be updated as needed.
Students, parents, and guardians: Please continue to check your DC email for detailed information and explanations. We may also utilize our texting platform to send you reminders.
Are there updated guidelines for individuals who have received the vaccine?
We are adjusting our protocols to align with the CDC guidelines for fully vaccinated people. Once you are vaccinated, please send a copy of your COVID-19 vaccine records to email@example.com.
For campus purposes, fully vaccinated means you are two weeks past your second dose of a 2-dose vaccine (e.g. Moderna or Pfizer) or two weeks past a single dose vaccine (Johnson & Johnson). Once we have received your documentation, fully vaccinated students will no longer need to quarantine if exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.
Because it’s still possible to be infected with and transmit COVID-19 after vaccination, all other COVID-19 campus protocols remain in place for vaccinated individuals for the remainder of the semester. Specifically, masks must still be worn on campus, physical distancing should still be maintained, and outside guests will still not be permitted in the residence halls. Weekly COVID-19 testing will still continue for vaccinated individuals and we ask that you continue daily use of the Campus Clear app.
Have there been any changes to spring semester dates?
- As with almost all other colleges and universities in Ohio, there will be no Spring Break this year. However we have built in a few days off throughout the semester. These days include: Feb. 10, Feb. 25, March 17, March 23, and April 21.
- Spring 2021 courses will continue in the current two day a week format.
- Final exams will now end on May 6 and Commencement is still scheduled for May 8.
What safety measures are in place at Defiance College?
Defiance College is continually making sure it is operating in compliance within guidelines from the CDC, the State of Ohio, and the NCAA. DC has taken a number of measures to ensure the safety of individuals on campus. For more details please click here.
- In consultation with the Defiance County Health Department, all students will be tested for COVID-19 when they return to campus and again seven days later. The requirement applies to students currently living in Defiance as well.
- Students, faculty, and staff are required to do daily self-health checks which include reporting temperatures and any COVID-19 symptoms.
- Everyone will also be required to wear masks when in public spaces on campus. Faculty and staff are required to wear face masks or face shields while interacting with individuals in their offices or classrooms. Students are required to wear a mask in the classroom.
- Disinfection of high contact areas, including restrooms, classrooms, computer labs, and shared shower facilities, occurs at regular intervals throughout the day.
- Every effort is being made to ensure students with the same affinity interests (athletic teams, music, etc) are housed together to help reduce the number of social contacts.
- Plexiglas barriers have been installed around reception desks where a large number of individuals will interact with staff on a regular basis.
- Signs are in place to encourage physical distancing, wearing of masks, and the importance
of hand washing and hand sanitizer.
What is being done to promote safety in the residence halls?
Defiance College is continually making sure it is operating in compliance within guidelines from the CDC, the State of Ohio, and the NCAA. The list below is subject to change and is not all-encompassing.
- Cleaning is doubled for residence hall common areas and restrooms
- Students within the same affinity group (i.e. athletic teams) will be housed together
- We cannot accept requests for room changes at this time
- Non-DC guests are not permitted to be inside the residence halls
- Students are not encouraged to have any guest(s) in their room
- Students are required to do daily self-health checks which include reporting temperatures and any COVID-19 symptoms
- Students are required to wear masks when not inside their rooms
Will cleaning supplies be provided for student use?
No cleaning supplies will be provided for students to clean their own rooms. Residential students were asked to bring the following items:
- facial coverings (more than one so that you can wash them frequently)
- hand sanitizer (check for recommended ingredients)
- sanitizing wipes so that you can help us clean frequently touched surfaces often
- Thermometer. You will have to take and report your temperature daily
Will there be sports in the spring?
Currently, many sports are actively competing. However, no spectators will be allowed for indoor sports. As for sports that are being played outdoors, limited spectators will be allowed. Here are the guidelines for spectators at outdoor sports: Spectators will be limited to immediate families of current student-athletes and the Defiance College community which includes students, faculty and staff. Visiting Team spectators and spectators from outside the campus community are not permitted at this time. Each student-athlete will be allowed a maximum of (4) tickets to be reserved for immediate family members/caregivers (These are non-transferable). Health protocols will be enforced at the games. For more details and information go to: Athletic Outdoor Spectator Policy
What safety measures are put in place for student athletes?
The Defiance College Athletics Department is following the NCAA, NATA, CDC, and ODH guidelines as they are developing policies and procedures to prioritize the health and safety of all student-athletes. Safety measures will include (but are not limited to): physical distancing, wearing of facial coverings, periodic testing, symptom and temperature monitoring, and sanitation of equipment and facilities. Specific information will be emailed to student-athletes.
What about physical distancing and masks in classrooms?
Defiance reconfigured classrooms to reduce physical distancing. Students are required to wear face masks when they are in public spaces on campus. This includes while in a classroom or lab setting. Instructors are required to wear a face mask or face shield while they are teaching a course.
What about my internship, field placement, etc.?
The updated four day class schedule was created to make certain students have the ability and time to complete any internship, field placement, student teaching, etc. If you have a specific concern, please contact your advisor.
Are there any changes to meal service in the dining hall?
Students in isolation/quarantine are not allowed to enter the dining hall or The Hive. All meals to these students are delivered.
All food stations will be staffed with an employee to help you make your food selections. The dining hall will be at 50% capacity for seating with tables placed 6 feet apart. Due to the reduced seating in the dining hall, we will also have seating available in the Hubbard Banquet Room and some additional picnic tables outside (weather permitting). There will also be a "to go" option in the dining hall as well as the option to order your meal 24 hours in advance for pick-up. The dining area will be deep cleaned after breakfast and lunch. Our dining staff has been trained in all the new procedures.
I am a prospective student wanting to come to campus. Will I be able to visit?
You can visit but all visits must be scheduled prior. Every visitor must wear a mask. Every visitor will have their temperature taken when they arrive. Visitors meet with DC representatives in a large conference room to provide plenty of room for social distancing. The conference room chairs and tables are cleaned before and after a visit. Lunch will be provided to our visitors. It will be in a to-go container and brought to the conference room. This way they can have lunch with coaches or admissions representatives. All tour guides are required to wear a mask and have temperatures tested daily. Please consult your coach or the Admissions Office for more details.
What about large gatherings scheduled to take place at Defiance College?
All facilities are temporarily closed to the public. Any gathering that exceeds the capacity limit put in place by the State of Ohio will not be allowed on campus.
Any update on the in-person commencement for 2020 graduates?
Due to size gathering restrictions currently in place, we have decided to hold individual commencement ceremonies for the classes of 2020 and 2021 in May. 2020 graduates will have an in-person commencement on May 8, 2021. Please follow Defiance College social media for updates or click here for more information.
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact us at COVID19@defiance.edu or 419-783-2562.