DC COVID-19 Information
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
This page will continue to be updated as needed.
Students, parents, and guardians: Please continue to check your DC email for detailed information and explanations. We may also utilize our texting platform to send you reminders.
Our COVID policies and guidelines have been updated.
Here is a list of COVID-19 Policies and Protocols for Summer and Fall as of June 1, 2021. As always, these are subject to change as we receive new information from local, state and federal organizations.
- The campus vaccination goal is 80%. We will eliminate all protocols including masking indoors, weekly testing and guest restrictions in the residence halls when we hit the 80% vaccination rate for campus.
- We are anticipating the NCAA will also use 80-85% vaccination rates as the threshold to eliminate COVID-19 testing and other protocols.
- Please remember to submit a copy of your vaccination card to firstname.lastname@example.org once you have received your second dose of Pfizer or Moderna or your one dose of Johnson & Johnson.
- Masks are no longer required outdoors on campus.
- Masks are still required indoors for everyone until we get to the 80% vaccination rate.
- Guests are not permitted in the residence halls until we get to the 80% vaccination rate.
- Fully vaccinated individuals no longer have to quarantine if they are exposed to someone with COVID-19.
- Vaccinated and unvaccinated students should still report COVID-19 symptoms through the Campus Clear App.
- Fully vaccinated individuals no longer have to participate in weekly COVID-19 testing. If we are not at the 80% vaccination rate, students who are not vaccinated should
anticipate testing before arrival in August as well as weekly testing during the Fall
semester. Additionally, a testing fee may be applied to student accounts.
Are classes in-person this fall or are they remote?
Classes will be held in-person in the fall of 2021. Currently, students and professors will be required to wear face masks while in the classroom and inside buildings. If the campus gets to an 80% vaccination rate, all COVID guidelines for in-person classes are removed.
Will fall sports be played in the fall?
Plans are being made for traditional fall sports to resume play in the fall of 2021.
What safety measures are in place at Defiance College?
Defiance College is continually making sure it is operating in compliance within guidelines from the CDC, the State of Ohio, and the NCAA. DC has taken a number of measures to ensure the safety of individuals on campus. For more details please click here.
- Students, faculty, and staff are required to do daily self-health checks which include reporting temperatures and any COVID-19 symptoms.
- Everyone will also be required to wear masks when inside buildings on campus. Faculty and staff are required to wear face masks or face shields while interacting with individuals in their offices or classrooms. Students are required to wear a mask in the classroom.
- Disinfection of high contact areas, including restrooms, classrooms, computer labs, and shared shower facilities, occurs at regular intervals.
- Plexiglas barriers have been installed around reception desks where a large number of individuals will interact with staff on a regular basis.
- Signs are in place to encourage physical distancing, wearing of masks, and the importance
of hand washing and hand sanitizer.
What is being done to promote safety in the residence halls?
Defiance College is continually making sure it is operating in compliance within guidelines from the CDC, the State of Ohio, and the NCAA. The list below is subject to change and is not all-encompassing.
- Non-DC guests are not permitted to be inside the residence halls
- Students are not encouraged to have any guest(s) in their room
- Students are required to do daily self-health checks which may include reporting temperatures
- Students are required to wear masks when not inside their rooms
Will cleaning supplies be provided for student use?
No cleaning supplies will be provided for students to clean their own rooms. Residential students were asked to bring the following items:
- facial coverings (more than one so that you can wash them frequently)
- hand sanitizer (check for recommended ingredients)
- sanitizing wipes so that you can help us clean frequently touched surfaces often
- Thermometer. You may have to take and report your temperature daily
What safety measures are put in place for student athletes?
The Defiance College Athletics Department is following the NCAA, NATA, CDC, and ODH guidelines as they are developing policies and procedures to prioritize the health and safety of all student-athletes. Safety measures will include (but are not limited to): physical distancing, wearing of facial coverings, periodic testing, symptom and temperature monitoring, and sanitation of equipment and facilities. Specific information will be emailed to student-athletes.
What about physical distancing and masks in classrooms?
Defiance reconfigured classrooms to reduce physical distancing. Students are required to wear face masks when they are inside buildings campus. This includes while in a classroom or lab setting. Instructors are required to wear a face mask or face shield while they are teaching a course.
Are there any changes to meal service in the dining hall?
Updates on fall meal service will be forthcoming.
I am a prospective student wanting to come to campus. Will I be able to visit?
Every visitor must wear a mask while inside campus buildings. Every visitor will have their temperature taken when they arrive. Visitors meet with DC representatives in a large conference room to provide plenty of room for social distancing. All tour guides are required to wear a mask and have temperatures tested daily. Please consult your coach or the Admissions Office for more details.
What about large gatherings scheduled to take place at Defiance College?
All facilities are temporarily closed to the public at this time.
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact us at COVID19@defiance.edu or 419-783-2562.