DC COVID-19 Information
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS - Fall 2020
This page will continue to be updated as needed.
Students, parents, and guardians: Please continue to check your DC email daily for updates. We will also be utilizing our new texting platform to send you reminders as well.
Will campus be open in the fall?
Defiance College plans to be fully open and have face-to-face instruction at the start of fall semester.
Will the fall semester start as scheduled?
Yes, DC's 2020 fall semester will begin with evening and lab classes on Monday, August 24. All other classes begin on Tuesday, August 25. There are changes to our academic schedule. Please see below for more details.
Are students allowed to live on campus?
Yes. Please see below for more details.
What do students need to do before returning to campus?
In consultation with the Defiance County Health Department, we are now requiring that all students have a negative Covid-19 test within 7 days prior to moving into the residences halls or August 21 for Commuter students (details emailed on July 31 from Dean Marsalek). The requirement applies to students currently living in Defiance as well. In addition, all students will be asked to complete a Pre-Arrival Questionnaire regarding possible Covid-19 symptoms or exposure to someone who has tested positive. Details have been emailed to students on July 27, 2020.
In order to reduce contact in offices, forms will be sent to students this month to sign electronically through DocuSign. These forms include Parking Registration, Housing Contract or Commuter Request Form, as well as forms required for student athletes. Please watch your email for these forms and complete them promptly. Deadline to complete these forms is August 10.
Will there be sports in the fall? Yes, but it will be different.
The Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference (HCAC) has decided to postpone football, volleyball, and soccer until the spring of 2021. Teams considered to be "low contact sports" or "medium contact sports" such as golf, tennis, baseball and softball may have an opportunity to play during the fall athletic season or to split their seasons between fall and spring. Coaches are conducting virtual team meetings to pass along more information directly to their players. For more information please read the official Defiance College COVID-19 fall sports press release.
What safety measures are put in place for student athletes?
The Defiance College Athletics Department is following the NCAA, NATA, CDC and ODH guidelines as they are developing policies and procedures to prioritize the health and safety of all student-athletes. Safety measures will include (but are not limited to): physical distancing, wearing of facial coverings, symptom and temperature monitoring, and sanitation of equipment and facilities. Specific information will be emailed to student-athletes.
What safety measures will be in place as Defiance College students return to campus?
Defiance College is taking steps to ensure it is operating in compliance within guidelines from the CDC, the State of Ohio, and the NCAA. DC is taking a number of measures to ensure the safety of individuals on campus.
- In consultation with the Defiance County Health Department, we are now requiring that all students have a negative Covid-19 test within 7 days prior to moving into the residences halls or August 21 for Commuter students (details emailed on July 31 from Dean Marsalek). The requirement applies to students currently living in Defiance as well. In addition, all students will be asked to complete a Pre-Arrival Questionnaire regarding possible Covid-19 symptoms or exposure to someone who has tested positive. Details have been emailed to students on July 27, 2020.
- Students, faculty and staff will be required to do daily self-health checks which include reporting temperatures and any COVID-19 symptoms.
- Everyone will also be required to wear masks when in public spaces on campus. Faculty and staff will be required to wear face masks or face shields while interacting with individuals in their offices or classrooms. Students are expected to wear a mask in the classroom.
- Disinfection of high contact areas, including restrooms, classrooms, computer labs, and shared shower facilities, will occur at regular intervals throughout the day.
- Every effort is being made to ensure students on the same affinity interests (athletic teams, music, etc) are housed together to help reduce the number of social contacts.
- Plexiglas barriers have been installed around reception desks where a large number of individuals will interact with staff on a regular basis.
- Signs are in place to encourage physical distancing, wearing of masks, and the importance of hand washing and hand sanitizer.
When are the official move-in dates for the residence halls?
Your move-in date may have changed! Please see the list below. For the safety of everyone concerned, we have structured the move-in process in a way that limits the number of people moving into the residence halls at any given time. For a complete list of the new move-in process, and to sign-up for new move-in times (emails sent on July 27 & 28), please refer to emails from Dean Marsalek. Move-in dates:
- Women's golf - August 16
- All new and returning students - August 19-21
How will the move-in process be different this fall?
- Students will need to sign-up for a move-in time prior to arriving.
- Only two helpers are allowed per student and face masks are required.
- A negative Covid-19 test will be required within 7 days of your move-in time
- Do not move in if you, or your helpers, are experiencing any symptoms of the COVID-19 virus.
- Once you arrive on campus a health check will be given to everyone in your party.
- Roommates will not be permitted to move in at the same time.
- For a complete list of the new move-in process, please refer to an emails sent by
What is being done to promote safety in the residence halls?
Defiance College is taking steps to ensure it is operating in compliance within guidelines from the CDC and the State of Ohio. The list below is subject to change and is not all encompassing.
- Cleaning will be doubled for residence hall common areas and restrooms.
- Students within the same affinity group (i.e. athletic teams) will be housed together.
- We cannot accept requests for room changes at this time.
- Non-DC guests will not be permitted inside the residence halls.
- Students are not encouraged to have any guest(s) in their room.
- Students will be required to do daily self-health checks which include reporting temperatures and any COVID-19 symptoms.
- Students will be required to wear masks when not inside their rooms.
Will cleaning supplies be provided for student use?
No cleaning supplies will be provided for students to clean their own rooms. Residential students should plan to bring the following items with them:
- facial coverings (more than one, so that you can wash them frequently);
- hand sanitizer (check for recommended ingredients);
- sanitizing wipes, so that you can help us clean frequently touched surfaces often.
- Thermometer. You will have to take and report your temperature daily.
Are there any changes to the College's academic calendar or weekly schedule?
There are a few major changes to our normal schedule for fall semester. The Division of Academic Affairs decided to move to a four day a week schedule after careful consideration of information provided by the CDC, the State of Ohio and other higher education bodies. Classes will be held on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Wednesday is kept free for students to fully participate in student teaching, internships, and other field experiences due to anticipated physical distancing requirements on sites. Second, the week after Thanksgiving, all classes move 100% remote to complete the semester. Finals week will be held remotely. Students will then be expected to return to campus in January 2021 for continued face-to-face instruction. For more details, please refer to an email sent by Dr. Caldwell.
What about physical distancing and masks in classrooms?
Defiance is currently in the process of reconfiguring classrooms to reduce physical distancing. Students will be required to wear face masks when they are in public spaces on campus. This includes while in a classroom or lab setting. Instructors will be required to wear a face mask or face shield while they are teaching a course.
With the Division of Academic Affairs agreeing to a temporary adjustment to the fall class schedule, classes will meet Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday to allow for safety precautions. Every effort will be made to arrange classrooms in ways to accommodate physical distancing. Course sections will now be split so that half of the students are in a class at any given time. The other half will be completing coursework online. This more hybrid model will help position the College for success if another wave of COVID-19 forces face-to-face instruction to be temporarily suspended. For more details, please refer to an email sent by Dr. Caldwell on June 25.
What about my internship, field placement, etc.?
The updated four day class schedule was created to make certain students have the ability and time to complete any internship, field placement, student teaching, etc. If you have a specific concern, please contact your advisor.
Will I be able to do work study in the fall?
Defiance College offices will be fully open in the fall. It is expected that work study opportunities will be available in the fall semester.
Are there any changes to meal service in the dining hall?
All food stations will be staffed with an employee to help you make your food selections. The dining hall will be at 50% capacity for seating with tables placed 6 feet apart. Due to the reduced seating in the dining hall, we will also have seating available in the Hubbard Banquet Room and some additional picnic tables outside (weather permitting). There will also be a "To Go" option in the dining hall as well as the option to order your meal 24 hours in advance for pick-up. The dining area will be deep cleaned after breakfast and lunch. Our dining staff has been trained in all the new procedures and look forward to a healthy new school year.
I am a prospective student wanting to come to campus. Will I be able to visit?
ALL VISITS MUST BE PRE-SCHEDULED. At this time only prospective students (and their families) enrolling in the fall of 2020 are allowed to visit campus. All participating in the visit will have their temperatures taken, check for COVID-19 symptoms, and are required to wear a mask while on campus. Only two on-campus visits are allowed per day. Virtual visits continue to be available. Please consult your coach or the Admissions Office for more details.
Will Defiance College athletic facilities be open?
Athletic facilities are currently closed. We will be phasing in the use of facilities by student-athletes over the next few weeks in anticipation of having our facilities open, with all safety and sanitation protocols in place, when students return to campus in August.
What about large gatherings scheduled to take place at Defiance College?
Any gathering that exceeds the capacity limit put in place by the State of Ohio will not be allowed on campus. Athletics decisions are being discussed at the conference level and will be forthcoming.
Any update on the in-person commencement for 2020 graduates?
Due to size gathering restrictions currently in place, we have decided to hold a combined commencement for the classes of 2020 and 2021 in May 2021. Students will be notified in the near future with details.
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact us at COVID19@defiance.edu or 419-783-2562.