DC COVID-19 Information
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
This page will continue to be updated as needed.
Students, parents, and guardians: Please continue to check your DC email for detailed information and explanations. We may also utilize our texting platform to send you reminders.
Here is a list of our COVID-19 Policies and Protocols for campus. As always, these are subject to change as we receive new information from local, state and federal organizations. Our goal is to reduce COVID's presence on campus. As we maintain that focus, COVID guidelines may be required on campus that are not be required elsewhere.
- With some exceptions, beginning on November 9, masking is strongly recommended but not required. Note: The CDC recommends that individuals who are not fully vaccinated wear masks indoors and that fully vaccinated individuals in areas of substantial or high spread also wear masks.
- Due to federal guidelines, masks are always required in health care settings such as the athletic training room and the health center. Additionally, masks are required when traveling as a group in vans/buses.
- Faculty and staff may require masks to be worn in their classrooms/offices.
- Large campus events may also require masks. Masking requirements will be communicated prior to the event.
- If the campus reaches a positivity rate greater than 3% (i.e. 10 individuals) in a
14 day period, the campus will resume universal mask requirements indoors until the
positivity rate drops to below 3%. This communication will be sent via email.
The College is strongly recommending students be vaccinated. Our campus goal is 80%.
Vaccination is still the best way to protect yourself and others. While it does not 100% prevent one from getting COVID-19, it does greatly reduce your risk of severe symptoms and hospitalization. And equally importantly, it increases your chance of academic and athletic success by keeping you out of isolation and quarantine. For those of you who are student athletes, there is a conference rule that games unable to be played because of a COVID-19 outbreak will be forfeited.
Fully vaccinated individuals (2 weeks post final dose) will not have to quarantine if exposed and will not have to participate in weekly COVID-19 testing. Please submit your vaccination record to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will accept them at any time. Remember, vaccines are free everywhere! Please check your DC email for updates concerning on-campus vaccine clinics.
Unvaccinated students will be required to participate in weekly COVID-19 surveillance testing.
Per health department and CDC guidelines, students with a positive COVID-19 test will need to isolate for 10 days. Students may choose to isolate at home or move to the isolation wing in Whitney or McReynolds for the duration of their isolation. Meals will be delivered to the isolation floor.
Quarantine: Anyone who is not fully vaccinated and is exposed to a person with COVID-19 must quarantine for 10 days. Additional testing may be required during the four days following the release from quarantine. Students may quarantine at home or on-campus. If quarantined on campus, students may not leave their room except for meal pick-up.
All students and employees will be expected to monitor their symptoms daily and report any of the following symptoms through the Campus Clear app and call the Campus Wellness Center at (419) 783-2548.
Are classes in-person this fall or are they remote?
Classes will be held in-person in the fall of 2021. Currently, students and professors will be required to wear face masks while in the classroom and inside buildings.
What about the fans?
At this time, we are planning to have fans. COVID guidelines will be implemented.
What safety measures are in place at Defiance College?
Defiance College is continually making sure it is operating in compliance within guidelines from the CDC, the State of Ohio, and the NCAA. DC has taken a number of measures to ensure the safety of individuals on campus. For more details please click here.
- Students, faculty, and staff are required to report any COVID symptoms through the Campus Clear app.
- Disinfection of high contact areas, including restrooms, classrooms, computer labs, and shared shower facilities, occurs at regular intervals.
- Plexiglas barriers have been installed around reception desks where a large number of individuals will interact with staff on a regular basis.
- Signs are in place to encourage physical distancing, wearing of masks, and the importance
of hand washing and hand sanitizer.
Will cleaning supplies be provided for student use?
No cleaning supplies will be provided for students to clean their own rooms. Residential students are asked to bring the following items:
- facial coverings (more than one so that you can wash them frequently)
- hand sanitizer (check for recommended ingredients)
- sanitizing wipes
I am a prospective student wanting to come to campus. Will I be able to visit?
Every visitor must wear a mask while inside campus buildings. Every visitor will have their temperature taken when they arrive. Visitors meet with DC representatives in a large conference room to provide plenty of room for social distancing. All tour guides are required to wear a mask and have temperatures tested daily. Please consult your coach or the Admissions Office for more details.
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact us at COVID19@defiance.edu or 419-783-2562.