DC COVID-19 Information
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
This page will continue to be updated as needed.
Students, parents, and guardians: Please continue to check your DC email for detailed information and explanations. We may also utilize our texting platform to send you reminders.
Have there been any changes to spring semester dates?
Classes start on Tuesday, January 19, a week later than originally planned.
As with almost all other colleges and universities in Ohio, there will be no Spring Break this year. However we have built in a few days off throughout the semester.
Spring 2021 courses will continue in the current two day a week format.
Final exams will now end on May 6 and Commencement is still scheduled for May 8.
For the complete Spring Calendar, visit http://www.defiance.edu/
What will students need to do before returning to campus for spring semester 2021?
All students will be tested for COVID-19 when they return and again seven days later. Residential students are REQUIRED to be tested for Covid-19 on the day of their return to campus and may not move back into the residence halls until they receive their negative test. All residential students (excluding winter athletes) should plan to arrive on campus before 1:00 p.m. on either January 15th or January 18th and report directly to the Smart Center for testing. Volleyball, Basketball and Wrestling (winter athletes) will return on Monday, January 4th. They must have a negative test before they are allowed to move-in or practice.
We ask that ALL students begin to self-quarantine (as much as possible) 14 days prior to returning to campus, complete the online health screening seven days prior to arrival, and then begin to use the CampusClear daily health assessment three days before arriving back on campus. Students, please continue to check your DC email for detailed information.
What safety measures are in place at Defiance College?
Defiance College is continually making sure it is operating in compliance within guidelines from the CDC, the State of Ohio, and the NCAA. DC has taken a number of measures to ensure the safety of individuals on campus. For more details please click here.
- In consultation with the Defiance County Health Department, all students will be tested for COVID-19 when they return to campus and again seven days later. The requirement applies to students currently living in Defiance as well.
- Students, faculty, and staff are required to do daily self-health checks which include reporting temperatures and any COVID-19 symptoms.
- Everyone will also be required to wear masks when in public spaces on campus. Faculty and staff are required to wear face masks or face shields while interacting with individuals in their offices or classrooms. Students are required to wear a mask in the classroom.
- Disinfection of high contact areas, including restrooms, classrooms, computer labs, and shared shower facilities, occurs at regular intervals throughout the day.
- Every effort is being made to ensure students with the same affinity interests (athletic teams, music, etc) are housed together to help reduce the number of social contacts.
- Plexiglas barriers have been installed around reception desks where a large number of individuals will interact with staff on a regular basis.
- Signs are in place to encourage physical distancing, wearing of masks, and the importance
of hand washing and hand sanitizer.
What is being done to promote safety in the residence halls?
Defiance College is continually making sure it is operating in compliance within guidelines from the CDC, the State of Ohio, and the NCAA. The list below is subject to change and is not all-encompassing.
- Cleaning is doubled for residence hall common areas and restrooms
- Students within the same affinity group (i.e. athletic teams) will be housed together
- We cannot accept requests for room changes at this time
- Non-DC guests are not permitted to be inside the residence halls
- Students are not encouraged to have any guest(s) in their room
- Students are required to do daily self-health checks which include reporting temperatures and any COVID-19 symptoms
- Students are required to wear masks when not inside their rooms
Will cleaning supplies be provided for student use?
No cleaning supplies will be provided for students to clean their own rooms. Residential students were asked to bring the following items:
- facial coverings (more than one so that you can wash them frequently)
- hand sanitizer (check for recommended ingredients)
- sanitizing wipes so that you can help us clean frequently touched surfaces often
- Thermometer. You will have to take and report your temperature daily
Will there be sports in the winter?
The Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference has made the decision to allow mens and womens basketball and volleyball to be played this winter. At this time some contests will be played in December with HCAC conference games starting in January. However, due to NCAA regulations and guidelines for indoor sports, as well as guidelines from the State of Ohio, no spectators will be allowed. For more details go to www.defianceathletics.com
What safety measures are put in place for student athletes?
The Defiance College Athletics Department is following the NCAA, NATA, CDC, and ODH guidelines as they are developing policies and procedures to prioritize the health and safety of all student-athletes. Safety measures will include (but are not limited to): physical distancing, wearing of facial coverings, periodic testing, symptom and temperature monitoring, and sanitation of equipment and facilities. Specific information will be emailed to student-athletes.
What about physical distancing and masks in classrooms?
Defiance reconfigured classrooms to reduce physical distancing. Students are required to wear face masks when they are in public spaces on campus. This includes while in a classroom or lab setting. Instructors are required to wear a face mask or face shield while they are teaching a course.
What about my internship, field placement, etc.?
The updated four day class schedule was created to make certain students have the ability and time to complete any internship, field placement, student teaching, etc. If you have a specific concern, please contact your advisor.
Are there any changes to meal service in the dining hall?
Students in isolation/quarantine are not allowed to enter the dining hall or The Hive. All meals to these students are delivered.
All food stations will be staffed with an employee to help you make your food selections. The dining hall will be at 50% capacity for seating with tables placed 6 feet apart. Due to the reduced seating in the dining hall, we will also have seating available in the Hubbard Banquet Room and some additional picnic tables outside (weather permitting). There will also be a "to go" option in the dining hall as well as the option to order your meal 24 hours in advance for pick-up. The dining area will be deep cleaned after breakfast and lunch. Our dining staff has been trained in all the new procedures.
I am a prospective student wanting to come to campus. Will I be able to visit?
You can visit but all visits must be scheduled prior. Every visitor must wear a mask. Every visitor will have their temperature taken when they arrive. Visitors meet with DC representatives in a large conference room to provide plenty of room for social distancing. The conference room chairs and tables are cleaned before and after a visit. Lunch will be provided to our visitors. It will be in a to-go container and brought to the conference room. This way they can have lunch with coaches or admissions representatives. All tour guides are required to wear a mask and have temperatures tested daily. Please consult your coach or the Admissions Office for more details.
What about large gatherings scheduled to take place at Defiance College?
All facilities are temporarily closed to the public. Any gathering that exceeds the capacity limit put in place by the State of Ohio will not be allowed on campus.
Any update on the in-person commencement for 2020 graduates?
Due to size gathering restrictions currently in place, we have decided to hold a combined commencement for the classes of 2020 and 2021 in May 2021. Students will be notified in the near future with details.
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact us at COVID19@defiance.edu or 419-783-2562.