What to Bring & What to Leave
WHAT TO BRING TO DC
- Appliances: TV, microwave (800 watt), refrigerator (no more than 4.5 cubic ft.)
- Bedding: sheets, blankets, mattress cover, pillow
- McReynolds - mattresses are extra-long size (see the section on Linens below)
- Whitney, Jacket Suites, and Grand Avenue - mattresses are extra-long size (see the
section on Linens below)
- Laundry supplies: clothes bag, detergent, dryer sheets, hangers, drying stand, iron and ironing board,
- Electronics: stereo, alarm clock, surge protectors, fused surge protector strips, video games,
computer, window fan, hair dryer, flashlight
- Bathroom supplies: shower caddy, shower shoes, towels, wash cloths
- Decoration: curtains to cover open closet space, posters, storage containers, throw rug, plates,
silverware, desk lamp, wastebasket, and flashlight
- Covid-19 add-ons:
- 5-7 facial coverings
- hand sanitizer
- disinfectant wipes
- personal computing device (laptop or tablet)
WHAT TO LEAVE BEHIND
- Homemade bed lofts
- Family pets except for fish in a bowl without a filter
- Any appliance with an exposed heating element (e.g. toaster, electric skillet, convection
oven, space or kerosene heater, halogen lamps)
- Fire hazards: plastic shower curtains, inflatable furniture, holiday lights of any
kind, extension cords, electric blankets, candles (even if unburned), incense
- Weapons of any kind (e.g. firearms, paintball guns, paintballs, sling-shots, pellet
guns, knives, bows, or dart boards)
- Miscellaneous: water beds, inflatable furniture, bean bag chairs, sub-woofers, electric
- Gel window clings
- In order to provide stable wireless internet in the residence halls, we do not allow the use of personal routers in your room
Air conditioning units may be brought if you are living in McReynolds Hall. They must be the smallest window unit, 115 volt/5000 BTU, with 1 unit per room (make
plans with your roommate so you don't each bring one).
Air conditioners are currently not allowed in Whitney Hall unless you receive permission from the Office of Residence Life for a medical necessity. There are plans to upgrade Whitney Hall in the near future to allow for A/C units.
Laundry facilities are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, on each of the residence hall floors. This equipment is provided for the use of each building's residents. If a machine is malfunctioning, please notify Residence Life as soon as possible by completing a work order form.
All mattresses are extra-long and measure 36'x80". The Office of Residence Life has partnered with Residence Hall Linens to provide our students with a convenient, affordable way to purchase sheets and bedding items that will fit any of the beds on campus, as well as other campus-living necessities. These items may be purchased through Our Campus Market.
Access to the internet is available in each room and is provided by Defiance College. For specific questions regarding the necessary hardware/software to gain access, please contact Computer Services at 419-783-2667. More information will be given to you during orientation on the specifics, and also can be found here.